Saturday, April 4, 2009

Thank God, My moms, My pops,...

I started this blog or writing I don't know how many times.
I want to be thankful for me.
Not to be egotistical, because of all people I know, I, myself am most down on myself, even though I know I am cool as fuck. I just want to thank everyone for who I am.
Like God for one, because of all the times I started this blog, it was about being Lakota. I am so gotdamn thankful for being bron into a culture I totally love, live, appreciate, and breathe everyday. I mean, I LOVE being Lakota. Where else can I get schooled about the "old stories" that were handed down by elders by someone younger than me, other than here? where else can I buy the most ancient and traditional form of art for five bucks on the corner other than here? Where else can I see FLOCKS of other races show up to snag on my people's culture, religion, and art and appreciate more than the average person that was born and raised here? Where else can I be as proud to be where I am from, other than being proud of my culture?
I also want to thank my mom for having me, she made me who I am. Even as much as I fought her through out my life and resisted her ways, her teachings, and everything she did to make me the woman I am, she still made me and she gave me life. no matter what, my mom, at age 17, suffered through 2 days of labor to give me my life. And never once have I regretted this life. I made so many mistakes, turned in so many wrong directions but my moms made me the strong woman I am and will leave a legacy for my daughter to follow. (Just not the mistakes, I hope.)
I want to thank my dad for making me, even in his absence in my life I knew he was missing. ?I felt it. I felt him being gone, and him being back in my life fore the last 20 or so years has been awesome. You also made me, .
Both of my parents, gave me my wit, my outlook on life, my humor, and most of all you gave me life, that I passedon to my beautiful, beautiful children.
Thank you, Mahalo, Danke, Pilamayan. Multiple.

4 comments:

josie2shoes said...

This was a beautiful tribute, Dana - some of your finest writing! I think your parents are wonderfully blessed to have created a daughter like you!

Alissa said...

I think at some point in our lives, everyone can become grateful for who we are and where we came from.

RiPPa said...

I love you Dana!

Leigh Russell said...

It's good to reflect like that, Dana. Thank you.

I haven't been over here for a while as I've been preoccupied with my book. It'll hit the shelves in less than 2 months and is available to order on amazon.com NOW! Cut Short by Leigh Russell. Check my blog for your invitation to my Virtual Book Launch!