Wednesday, September 23, 2009

AA is for quitters

So yeah, I had my first AA meeting yesterday.
I don't think I need it but it was okay. What I mean by needing it, is I have a great support system already, but I have to go.
I guess I just don't understand how you can be court ordered to go by a judge when you pray to God, say the Lord's Prayer and stuff.....in a nation where we have Freedom of Religion.
Oh well, anyway it was ok.
And not like I am an Atheist.
My oldest son shows signs of being an Atheist and it kind of worries me. But his writing is awesome....as well as his artwork.
This dude asked me yesterday how I felt about my drug and alcohol eval, I said it was depressing.
I know I used my drinking alot as an inspiration to write, now I just have to find that groove without the alcohol....did anyone see it laying around anywhere?

If so please return it, it's probably at the bottom of a bottle.

6 comments:

Lauri said...

Good luck, Dana. I went to Al-Anon meetings for a few years.

I hope your inspiration for writing returns to you soon. You are a great writer, and I look forward to reading you again.

Eddie said...

AA isn't for everyone. I don't believe in a "God" in the traditional sense, so I really don't pray.

What I am eternally grateful for are the 12 steps. THAT process changed my life. I found out I didn't really have a drug/ drinking problem, I had a thinking problem. I believe the steps can be used by anybody, regardless of whether they're addicts/ drunks or not.

Good to see you writing again and I hope to see more!

::smooches::

Unknown said...

A friend of mine was in NA. She also had a problem with the God thing. She chose to pray to her higher power rather than their higher power.
A Cherokee Elder once said after reading the Bible, It was a great book and when the white people started living by it he would introduce it to his people.

Anonymous said...

Look in your Soul for your insperation

Anonymous said...

Your blog keeps getting better and better! Your older articles are not as good as newer ones you have a lot more creativity and originality now keep it up!

Unknown said...

You only need a higher power, Dana - it doesn't need to be any specific God & no one in AA should force a specific religion on anyone.

That being said, I have seen the program turn around some folks lives completely, including my best friend. Give it your best shot. The writing you do sober will be even better than what you did when you were under the influence. I still have your blog linked to mine. Show them what you can do. Work your program!