Wednesday, February 6, 2008

I'm a mommy

I used to have this book that I would read to my boys when they were younger. I don't remember the name of it but it is about a lady who would hold her baby and tell him how much she loves him and that he will always be her baby. Even when he grows into a young man, she sneaks in his room and tells him those same words while he sleeps. Then when he has a baby daughter he does the same thing with his daughter.
I know how it feel because as a mother to four children, I kind of fear them growing up.
I am a mother first and foremost in my life. That is my priority. I have been on my own with my children since 2000.
There were many times we struggled living in the city and away from any immediate family. I never asked for or received child support and that made it hard to get by many times.
But we always had each other. My kids and I are close and no one could break that bond that I have with them.
As they grow older I think about the day that they will move away and move on with their lives and it makes me a little sad to think that I have to turn them over to this world.
But I look at what wonderful humans beings they turned out to be and I know they have plenty to offer this world.
I think it's just a parent's instincts to worry about their children, no matter how old they get. Even though I know they will be alright, I will probably always worry. Because a parent is there for their kids, for all of their lives.
And am I tooting my own horn for the way they turned out so far? Hell yeah, because I did it on my own.

1 comment:

josie2shoes said...

You have every reason to be proud of the way those kids are turning out because it's your love that has formed them! Too many people see parenting as a sideline, something that intereferes with work and life. Blessed indeed are the children who know without a doubt that they are wanted and loved beyond all measure. It hasn't been an easy journey for you, but your kids will be more durable because of sharing those struggles with you. You have taught them how families survive tough times... together! Not too long after they fly the nest they'll be bringing you grandbabies to love and spoil - imagine that, Dana Dane a grandma - I can almost envision you surrounded by little ones while you bead! :-)